National Historic Landmark
The National Park Service administers the National Register of Historic Places. The National Register is the official federal list of districts, sites, buildings, structures, and objects significant in American history, architecture, archeology, engineering, and culture. National Register properties have significance to the history of their community state, or the nation. Private individuals and organizations, local governments, and American Indian tribes often initiate this process and prepare the necessary documentation. A professional review board within the Illinois Historic Preservation Agency considers each property proposed for listing and makes a recommendation on its eligibility to the National Park Service.
Central Congregational Church, 60 Public Square
This massive stone church is one of the best examples of Richardsonian Romanesque architecture in Illinois. Designed by the local architect C.E. Gottschalk, the church stands on the site of the Old First Church which was built in the 1840s by the original colonists’ congregation. The cornerstone of the structure was laid in 1897, and the building was completed in December 1898 at a cost of $75,000. Of particular interest is the beautifully detailed rose window over the triple arched entry. The church was listed on the National Register in 1976.
Old Main, Knox College Campus
The structure was built in 1857 and designed by architect Charles Ulricson. As the home of the fifth Lincoln-Douglas debate, Old Main was among the first non-federally owned or operated buildings in the country to be recognized as a National Historic Landmark, a status it received in 1935. On October 15, 1966, Old Main was also among the earliest buildings listed in the National Register.