Utility bills are mailed quarterly. Included in the quarterly utility bill are charges for refuse, sewer and water services. Sewer and water consumption charges are based upon water usage.
Manage and pay your account online:
Mail payment to:
City of Galesburg
P.O. Box 1589
Galesburg, IL 61402-1589
Pay in person:
55 W. Tompkins Street Galesburg, IL 61401
Hours: 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Or drop payment in box:
Located at the sidewalk in front of City Hall.
Do not place cash in the utility drop-box. The City of Galesburg is not responsible for any lost or stolen cash payments made in the drop-box.
•Check (Personal, Cashiers)
•ACH - Direct Debit (call 309/345-3663 to set up an ACH Direct Debit)
Failure to receive a utility bill does not relieve of the responsibility for payment or for penalties incurred for late payment. A penalty of 10% will be added if the bill is not paid by the due date printed on the bill.
Due Dates and Districts
There are three utility-billing districts in the City of Galesburg. Each district is billed water, sewer and refuse on a quarterly basis. The district map is provided in the document center.
Opening New Water Accounts
- Utility accounts must be opened in person, a current State Photo ID is required, at the Customer Service Counter, City Hall, 55 W. Tompkins St., Galesburg, IL 61401.
- A $130 deposit is required at the time the water account is opened. The deposit will be applied to the final bill with any remaining amount refunded to the customer.
- A $27 service fee is required at the time the account is opened. This fee is for the initial utility service turn-on charge. This fee will not be refunded.
- Per City ordinance proof of the right to occupy a residence must be provided prior to starting new service at a service address. For home owners a copy of a closing statement can serve as documentation. For rentors a copy of a valid lease or a signed copy of the Occupancy Verification Form can be provided as documentation. Any questions regarding this requirement can be answered at 309/345-3663.
Total amount due at the time of account opening is $157 ($130 deposit plus $27 service fee).
Closing Utility Accounts
- Utility accounts may be closed in person, a State ID is required, at the Customer Service Counter, City Hall, 55 W. Tompkins St., Galesburg, IL 61401. With proper verification, accounts can be closed over the phone.
- Once the City has processed the request to close the account a final meter read will be taken and a final bill processed. The deposit will be applied to the final bill. Any amount still owed by the customer is required to be paid within 20 days. Any remaining deposit amount will be refunded to the customer.
- Property owners may also close accounts, even if the account is in a tenant's name, if the tenant has vacated the property or has failed to pay a bill and the account has obtained delinquent status.
- Accounts with a delinquent balance and no water service may be finaled seven days after the second due date of the bill if after inspeciton the property is determined to be vacant. If the final balance is not paid, a lien can be filed on the property or the account can be sent to the credit bureau for the amount of the balance plus additional fees.
Late Payment & Penalties
If a utility customer fails to pay their utility bill by the due date printed on the bill, a 10% penalty will be added to the bill and a second notice will be sent by the City of Galesburg to the customer.
If the utility bill and penalty are not paid by the due date printed on the second notice the water service will be shut off and the customer will be charged a $55 delinquent fee. The water service will not be turned back on until the customer has paid their delinquent balance in full.
Any person who pays for utility service with a check which is not honored because of insufficient funds will be charged a $30 service fee. If the utility user submits two checks, in a twelve-month period, which are returned for insufficient funds, the utility user will be required to pay cash for the next twelve calendar months.