FAQ Categories

Fire Department

Police Department

Water Bill


Questions And Answers

Fire Department

Does the Fire Department recommend any specific smoke detector for best protection?

No, the department does not recommend any brand or type of detector over another. We do recommend, however, that you make sure the detector you are buying has been tested by Underwriters Laboratories, the "UL" logo will appear on packaging of detectors approved in this manner.

back to top

What rooms should my smoke detectors be placed in?

State law requires smoke detectors to be installed within 15 feet of each sleeping area and on every level of the home, including the basement. On floors without bedrooms detectors should be installed near living areas such as dens, living rooms, or family rooms.

Smoke detectors are not recommended for use in kitchens, bathrooms, or garages where cooking fumes, steam or exhaust can set off the alarm when there is no fire.

back to top

How should I mount my smoke detector(s)?

Detectors should be mounted high on a wall or on the ceiling. Wall-mounted units should be installed so the top edge of the detector is 4 to 12 inches from the ceiling. A ceiling-mounted detector should be attached at least 4 inches away from the nearest wall. In a room with a pitched ceiling, mount the detector at or near the ceiling's highest point. In stairways with no doors at the top or bottom, position smoke detectors anywhere in the path of smoke moving up the stairs. Always position smoke detectors at the bottom of closed stairways, such as those leading from a basement, because dead air trapped near the door at the top of a stairway could prevent smoke from reaching a detector located at the top.

back to top

What type of CO detector is recommended?

The Fire Department does not recommend a specific brand or type of detector. We do, however, recommend residents purchase detectors that are Underwriter's Laboratory (UL) tested.

back to top

How many CO detectors should I have in my home?

A minimum of one detector is recommended.

back to top

Where should a CO detector be mounted in the home?

Carbon monoxide weighs about the same as air, and distributes evenly throughout a room. A CO alarm will be effective if it is on the ceiling, near the baseboard, or anywhere in between. The department recommends placing the detectors near sleeping areas so the alarm can be heard during night-time hours should carbon monoxide be present. We do not recommend mounting detectors extremely close to attached garages (exhaust from vehicles will activate the detectors) or adjacent to natural gas appliances.

back to top

Police Department

What age must a child be before they do not have to be in a child restraint seat?

The Child Passenger Protection Act requires use of approved safety seats by children under age four. Any person transporting a child under age four is responsible for the child's safety. Children under age four must be properly secured in an approved child safety seat. Children four to eight years old must be secured either in a booster seat or with a safety belt. If a child weighs 40 lbs or more and is between 4-8 years old they can wear a lap belt or seatbelt only, in the back seat if possible.  With the current safety considerations regarding air bags...Do not transport small children in the front seats of vehicles in which there is an air bag installed. More Information regarding this law and other Illinois Driving laws can be obtained from the Rules of the Road-Available from the Secretary of State Office, or at web site; www.cyberdriveillinois.com

back to top

What is the law on tinted windows?

The State of Illinois has several laws pertaining to tinted windows and glazing. The law is as follows: For Reference: The law is located in the 625 ILCS 5/12 -503 Windshields and safety glazing material in motor vehicles Guidelines are: Front Windshield -Can be tinted 6 inches from the top. 4Dr vehicle: Rear side windows may be tinted. Front Driver and Passenger Door- NO tinting allowed. If the Rear windows are all tinted in a van, the van must be equipped with dual mirrors. Vehicles 1982 or older are not covered by this law.  As of 01-01-2010 there have been technical changes in this law.  See www.cyberdriveillinois.com  for those details.

back to top

What are the hours for curfew?

Section 1(b) of Act 555 of Chapter 720 of the Illinois Compiled Statutes. The Curfew is: between 12:01 a.m. and 6:00 a.m. Saturday; between 12:01 a.m. and 6:00 a.m. Sunday; and between 11:00 p.m. on Sunday to Thursday, inclusive and 6:00 a.m. on the following day EXCEPTIONS: When accompanied and supervised by a parent, legal guardian or other responsible companion at least 18 years of age approved by a parent or legal guardian or unless engaged in business or occupation which the law of this State authorized a person less that 17 years of age to perform.  The Illinois Graduated Drivers License program imposes different curfew times for drivers under 18 years old.  Basically, the curfew hours are one hour sooner if your driver is under 18.  For further information, contact the following web site; www.cyberdriveillinois.com

back to top

What is the ordinance governing a Snow Emergency?

Sec. 28-282.  Parking during snow emergencies.

No person shall park a vehicle, except when necessary to avoid conflict with other traffic or in compliance with the direction of a police officer or traffic-control device, on any street within the corporate limits of the city except those streets comprising the central business district (other than the northwest quadrant of the public square, which shall be subject to the snow emergency requirements of this section) during an announced snow emergency, being a twelve-hour period commencing at the time when two (2) inches of snow has accumulated on the street surface or until the street has been completely plowed. Each day during part of which the vehicle remains parked in violation hereof, after being ticketed for the first time, shall constitute a separate offense.

In addition, any vehicle parked in violation of this section may be towed away. See www.ci.galesburg.il.us/engstreet/snow.htm (CREATE NEW LINK ON SITE).

(Ord. No. 79-690, § .066, 9-17-79; Ord. No. 92-1451, § 1, 5-4-92; Ord. No. 2000-1966, § 2, 6-19-00)

State law references:  Authority to prohibit parking during snow removal operations, 625 ILCS 5/11-208.

back to top

What number can I call to get road conditions?

As a service to the Galesburg Community; The Galesburg Police Department throughout the winter will post road conditions on the Voice Mail phone system. These messages are updates several times a day as the road conditions change. The Voice mail box also houses several other informational services...Burning Information, Recreational Information throughout the summer. If you ever need any information on road conditions, please call 345-5887.  Also see www.gettingaroundillinois.com for this and other IDOT information.

back to top

What time can garbage be set out for pickup?

Garbage may be placed on the curb no earlier that 4 p.m. on the day preceding your normally scheduled garbage pickup. Garbage cans must also be removed from the terrace area by mid-night the day of pick up. The City of Galesburg recycles. The Refuse Service Guide provides complete information regarding the refuse and the recycling program. For more information please refer to the Solid Waste (CREATE NEW SITE LINK) section of this website or phone Western Illinois Disposal at 342-0256 or City Hall at 345-3614.

back to top

What time must bars close?

The City of Galesburg has several regulations regarding the operation of Liquor Establishments within the City Limits of Galesburg The Ordinance which governs these is listed as follows: Sec. 3-86.Hours OPERATIONAL RULES (A)Generally. No alcoholic liquor shall be sold at retail or consumed on any licensed premises between the hours of 1:00 a.m. and 7:00 a.m. on any Monday through Friday; no alcoholic liquor shall be sold at retail or consumed on any licensed premises between the hours of 2:00 a.m. and 7:00 a.m. on any Saturday; no alcoholic liquor shall be sold at retail or consumed on any licensed premises between the hours of 2:00 a.m. and 12:00 noon on any Sunday; provided, however that alcoholic liquor may be sold at retail or consumed on any licensees premises until the hour of 3:00 a.m. on January first. No alcoholic liquor shall be sold at retail or consumed on any licensed premises between the hours of 12:00 noon Sunday and 1:00 a.m. Monday unless the licensee has paid the optional fee allowing these hours. (b)Closing. Patrons shall not be allowed to loiter, or remain, for more than fifteen (15) minutes, on premises licensed under class A, class B, class F or class G of this division after closing hours. (Ord. No. 84-940 .051(a), (b), 4-18-84; Ord. No 88-1245 1, 11-7-88)

back to top

How do I report a crime?

The Galesburg Police Department is dedicated to Protection and Service. Below is an outline of general types of Service Requests received by the Police Department and an outline of the sequence of events that occur in the reporting and investigation of these incidents.

back to top

How do I report an accident?

When you call the Police to report an accident, you will be asked several questions. These questions help the Dispatcher and/or Call Taker send the necessary Emergency Response Units to assist An example of the questions which may be asked when reporting an accident are as follows:
  • Are there any injuries?
  • What is the location?
  • How many vehicles are involved?
  • Have you moved the vehicles?
  • Are both vehicles still there?
  • If the other vehicle has left the scene, can you give me a description of the vehicle and driver?
Accidents happen and when they do, you should notify the Police Department. There are important things to do when you are involved in an accident.
  • Check for injuries.
  • Confirm the location of the accident
  • Call the Police - Emergency 911 or Non-Emergency (309)343-9151
  • You may need to move the vehicles to a safe location
  • Exchange information -vehicle and insurance information.
While you wait for the Officer to arrive, it is important to be patient and keep safe. Be careful of traffic as it passes by. If the other driver is upset, it is important to allow the Police to investigate the accident and not to have a disagreement at the scene.

Types Of Accidents

There are several types of accidents. Accidents with injuries of course are considered a priority for Emergency Response. Accidents with no injuries are also important; It is important to not become an additional hazard at the scene. Make certain you careful of the passing traffic around you at an accident scene. Hit and Run Accidents require an Officer to investigate the incident and attempt to located the unknown driver and vehicle. Without important detailed information, it is difficult for the Officer to apprehend the driver. When reporting a Hit and Run Accident, any information regarding paint transfers is very helpful. The Police want to assist in solving the accident, so as much information as possible is always helpful. Often the Hit and Run Accident is discovered many days or weeks after the accident has occurred. If you are coming into the Department to report this you need to have the vehicle with you. Private Property Accidents Generally when an accident occurs on private property and there are no injuries or circumstances which would require police presence and the parties involved are willing to exchange information; the Police do not need to respond to investigate the accident. If there are circumstances which would require police presence, do not hesitate to call 9-1-1 and the police will respond. You should exchange your name, address and insurance information with the other party. You will then need to go into the Police Department to file an individual accident report. Depending on the amount of the damage, you may also have to file a State Police Accident Report. You have 10 (ten) days to return your accident to the Police Department. You will want to keep a copy of the accident for your insurance company before you turn the accident report into the Police. Drivers should exchange the following information:
  • Name
  • Address
  • Home and work phone numbers
  • Driver's license information
  • License number of vehicle
  • Make, year and model of vehicle
  • Insurance information

back to top

How do I get a copies of an accident report?

Copies of Accident Reports may be obtained from the Police Department for a charge of $5.00. If you or your insurance company is requesting this information, please be sure to include your Name, Date and the Location of the Accident. This information is helpful to Police Department Personnel in locating your accident If your accident is a Individual Accident Report and you are returning your copy to the Police Department, be certain to obtain a copy of the report prior to returning it into the Police Department. Once an Individual Accident Report is returned to the Department, copies are not given out.

back to top

What is the procedure for reporting domestic violence?

Illinois Domestic Violence Act Of 1986 750 Illinois Compiled Statutes 60/102 Purposes; rules of construction.

This Act shall be liberally construed and applied to promote its underlying purposes, which are to: (1) Recognize domestic violence as a serious crime against the individual and society which produces family disharmony in thousands of Illinois families, promotes a pattern of escalating violence which frequently culminates in intra-family homicide, and creates an emotional atmosphere that is not conducive to healthy childhood development; (2) Recognize domestic violence against high risk adults with disabilities, who are particularly vulnerable due to impairments in ability to seek or obtain protection, as a serious problem which takes on many forms, including physical abuse, sexual abuse, neglect, and exploitation, and facilitate accessibility of remedies under the Act in order to provide immediate and effective assistance and protection. (3) Recognize the legal system has ineffectively dealt with family violence in the past, allowing abusers to escape effective prosecution or financial liability, and has not adequately acknowledged the criminal nature of domestic violence; that, although many laws have changed, in practice there is still widespread failure to appropriately protect and assist victims; (4) Support the efforts of victims of domestic violence to avoid further abuse by promptly entering and diligently enforcing court orders which prohibit abuse and, when necessary, reduce the abuser's access to the victim and address any related issues of child custody and economic support, so that victims are not trapped in abusive situations by fear of retaliation, loss of a child, financial dependence, or loss of accessible housing or services; (5) Clarify the responsibilities and support the efforts of law enforcement officers to provide immediate, effective assistance and protection for victims of domestic violence, recognizing that law enforcement officers often become secondary victims of domestic violence, as evidenced by high rates of police injuries and deaths that occur in response to domestic violence calls; and (6) Expand the civil and criminal remedies for victims of domestic violence; including, when necessary, the remedies which effect physical separation of the parties to prevent further abuse. P.A. 84-1305, Art. I, 102, eff. Aug. 21 1986. Amended by P.A. 86-542 eff. Jan 1, 1990; P.A. 87-1186 3, eff Jan 1, 1993 Formerly Ill Rev Stat.1991 Ch 40, 2311-2. To report Domestic Violence Call 911.

Questions You May Be Asked

  • Are you Injured?
  • Are both People still there?
  • Are there any weapons?

Information To Relay To Responding Officers

  • If you or any other resident in the house has been injured.
  • If you have a Valid Order of Protection.
  • If you believe you will be in danger when the officer leaves.

Orders of Protection

You may obtain an Order of Protection from the courthouse. There is no cost associated with obtaining an Order of Protection. An Order of Protection should be considered seriously when obtained for it is a binding Order which neither party involved should violate. For further information regarding Domestic Violence and for assistance in obtaining information and help; call the Knox County Coalition Against Domestic Violence Phone: (309)343-7233

You should call 9-1-1 if you observe, or are involved in a domestic violence situation.

back to top

What is the procedure for reporting suspicious persons?

You should call 9-1-1 if see someone prowling on property that is not theirs without lawful authority or business with the owner or occupant of that property.

Questions You May Be Asked

  • What is the location where the prowler is?
  • What does the prowler look like?
  • What sort of clothing was the prowler wearing?
  • What is the prowler doing?
It is important to call as soon as you notice the suspicious person while he or she may be in the area.

back to top

What is sexual assault?

A person commits a sexual assault when they intentionally or knowingly commit sexual acts to another person and it is committed against that person's will.

If you are a victim of sexual assault, you should:
  1. Report the crime as soon as possible by calling 9-1-1.
  2. If medical assistance is needed call 9-1-1
  3. Describe as much as possible about the attacker.
  4. Preserve all physical evidence. Do not take a bath, wash or change clothes or linens. Do not touch anything handled by the attacker.
  5. You may need a medical examination.
  6. Be sure to take clean clothing to wear after the examination. Clothing worn during the attack will be turned over to the police for laboratory analysis.

Filing A Complaint

An Officer will respond and take the complaint. A medical examination may be requested. It is important to notify the Police as soon as possible.

back to top

How do I report auto theft?

Vehicle thefts need to be reported as soon as possible. You will need to have your vehicle's license plate number and/or the vehicle identification number (sometimes called VIN). When you report an incident of Auto Theft this information is entered into the police department's computer system which is connected to the National Crime Information Center (NCIC). This enables officers to immediately identify your vehicle as being stolen in any State. The report may be made by the victim at the police department or an officer can be sent to the victim's location, whichever is more practical.

Some Information Needed By The Police

  • License plate number and state of registration
  • The Name and city on registration (if the plate number is unknown)
  • Description of the vehicle Where was the vehicle parked?
  • Does anyone else have permission to drive the vehicle?

If You Recover Your Vehicle

You should not touch or move your vehicle in order to preserve any possible evidence. You should call the police to report the vehicle recovery, because if you do not, your car will still be listed as stolen and you may be stopped by the police as they would still believe your vehicle is stolen.

back to top

What is a robbery?

A person commits robbery when he or she takes property, except a motor vehicle covered by Section 18-3 or 18-4, from the person or presence of another by the use of force or by threatening the imminent use of force.

During a Robbery

The victim should attempt to remember the following precautions:
  • You should remain as calm as possible as you do not wish to increase the possibility of violence.
  • Avoid making any sudden movements which may be misunderstood.
  • Do not offer to provide items that are not specifically requested.
  • Make a mental note of the suspect's description (sex, race, age, clothing)
  • If the suspect uses a vehicle, note the description of the vehicle and the license plate number.

After The Robber Has Left

  • If possible, prevent/restrict entrance of others to the location.
  • Don't touch or move any evidence.
  • If the location is secure; call 911.
  • Try to keep all the witnesses there at the scene until the police can interview them.
  • Write down a complete description of the suspect, weapon, if any, and vehicle used.
  • Try to list all the property taken, along with serial numbers when possible.
Remember, your assistance in providing the responding officer with as much information as possible will assist in the speedy apprehension and arrest of the offender.

back to top

What is fraud?

There are various forms of fraud. When you look into the definitions of fraud, (720 ILCS 5/17-6 through 5/17B-15 you will see various forms of fraud ranging from Promotion of Pyramid sales schemes (720 ILCS 5/17-7) to Public aid wire fraud (720 ILCS 5/17-9). Fraud commonly occurs on the telephone. You should always be cautious when a telephone solicitor requests your money and or your credit card number. Fraud often occurs in home improvement schemes. It is advisable to know your contractor and verify his credentials with the local chamber of commerce or City Clerk who usually will have a list of licensed businesses. If you are a victim of fraud, you need to report this to the police. Gather all the information together to assist the officer in their investigation. Any information about the suspect or suspect's vehicles will also be helpful.

back to top

What is forgery?

A person commits forgery when, with intent to defraud, he knowingly:
  • Makes or alters any document apparently capable of defrauding another in such manner that it purports to have been made by another or at another time, or with different provisions, or by authority of one who did not give such authority; or
  • Issues or delivers such document knowing it to have been thus made or altered; or
  • Possesses, with intent to issue or deliver, any such document knowing it to have been thus made or altered.
An intent to defraud means an intention to cause another to assume create, transfer, alter or terminate any right, obligation or power with reference to any person or property.

A document apparently capable of defrauding another includes, but is not limited to, one by which any right, obligation or power with reference to any person or property may be created, transferred, altered or terminated.

To Report A Forgery

Either bring the item into the Galesburg Police Department or call the non-emergency number 309-343-9151 to report this to the police. If a forged document is a check and there are a series of checks which have been stolen, you need to notify your bank as soon as you have discovered the forgery. Bring the original forged item into the police as this will be needed for an incident investigation to begin.

back to top

How do I report a missing person?

You do NOT have to wait 24 hours before reporting a missing person. If a child or juvenile is believed to be missing, parents should first make sure they are not inside the home or anywhere in the immediate area. Call the police - Dial 911. The Dispatcher or Call-Taker will ask for the following information:
  • Address, telephone number and last known location
  • Full name, race, sex and any nicknames
  • Age and date of birth
  • Hair and eye color
  • Clothing worn when last seen
  • Home or apartment address and number if it is a different location that where you are calling from.
After the officer takes the report, the information on the missing person can be entered into the National Crime Information Center's computer files. This information will then be available to all other Law Enforcement Agencies and hopefully assist in the location of the missing person. When a missing person has been located or has returned home, the Police Department should be contacted so the computer entry can be canceled and the case can be closed.

back to top

How are juvenile offenders processed?

Juvenile offenders are handled differently than adult suspects. Depending on the specific circumstances, juveniles will either be released directly to their parents or be taken to the police department for short-term detention, processing and investigation.

Release To Parents Or Guardians

In most cases, juveniles can be released to their parents or legal guardians within two hours of the arrest. However, cases requiring more investigation may require longer detention of the suspect. In all cases, however, an officer will notify parents or guardians that their child is in custody. The officer also will cite the reasons why the action is being taken. Juveniles not released to parents or guardians usually are transferred to Mary Davis Juvenile Detention Center.

Teen Court

First time offenders can be referred to Knox County Teen Court.

back to top

How do I report nuisance phone calls?

An annoying telephone call is one that is made by a person who has the intent to annoy another person including any obscene language or also threatens to inflict injury to another person.

What To Do

  • If it is an emergency situation Dial 9-1-1
  • Call the police department and make a report 343-9151 (non-emergency)
The local telephone company provides a way to immediately trace phone calls by pressing *69 immediately upon receipt of the call.

back to top

What is Front Yard Parking?

Chap. 31-229 (b) (1)

(b)   The requirements under subsection (a) are subject to the following general rules and exceptions:

(1)   In the R-districts, no parking shall be permitted in the area between the front line of the dwelling and the property line except on an approved driveway. An approved driveway must be paved with concrete, asphalt, gravel, brick or other permanent low-dust surface and shall not exceed twenty-four (24) feet in width or cover more than forty (40) percent of the front yard, whichever is greater. In addition to permitted parking on the driveway in front of attached garages, one (1) parking space perpendicular to the street may be located in front of the dwelling
when side or rear yard parking is not available. Safety curbing or a barrier shall be provided to define the limits of this parking area and prevent encroachment into the front yard. Any parking permitted by this subsection shall be subject to the provisions of section 31-227(c) (14) of this Code, pertaining to corner lot visibility.  For further information, contact the Police Department at 309/343-4181.

back to top

Water Bill

What are your business hours?

You can pay your bill at the customer service counter (in City Hall, 55 West Tompkins Street) from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Water maintenance is open 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m..  Any service call made after 4:30 p.m. will be charged a $60 fee for after hours service.

back to top

Can I open, close or make changes to an account over the phone?

We do not open, close or change accounts over the phone. Picture identification in person or via facsimile is required to open, close or make changes to accounts. With proper verification accounts can be closed over the phone.

back to top

Do you have a drop box or other locations where I can pay my bill?

There are two drop boxes located by the main entrance of City Hall, 55 W. Tompkins Street. One located on the sidewalk and another up the steps by the front entrance.

back to top

Can I use a credit card to pay my utility bill? Do I have to come to City Hall to use my credit card?

The City accepts both credit and debit cards. You can pay online by clicking the ePay logo, come in to City Hall or call (309) 345-3663 to have your bill charged to your credit/debit card.

back to top

Can I have my utility bill taken out of my checking account automatically?

Yes, contact Customer Service at 309/345-3663 or e-mail customer@ci.galesburg.il.us (ACH payment of bills).

back to top

Can I pay my utility bill online?

Yes, click the ePay logo above (left side navigation area) to get started. Have your account number and the account holder's first and last name ready.

back to top

My utility bill was late because the Postal Service took longer than expected to deliver the payment, can I have my penalty removed?

No, as indicated on each utlity bill, failure to receive a bill does not relieve customer of payment or penalty.

back to top

I have a question about my utility bill, who should I call?

For billing questions call 309/345-3663 or e-mail customer@ci.galesburg.il.us.

back to top

Will I get the $147 back that I paid when I opened my account?

The $147 includes a $120 deposit and a $27 turn-on fee. The $27 is non-refundable. When you close your account the deposit ($120) will be applied to your final bill. Any amount left over after the deposit has been applied to the final bill will be refunded to you.

back to top

I had a water leak at my home, do I qualify for an adjustment to my bill?

No. The City does not give adjustments for water leaks of any type.

back to top

How do I know if my toilet is leaking?

To determine if your toilet is leaking, add food color to the tank, make sure to put in enough coloring to make the water dark. Let the toilet stand for an hour, DO NOT FLUSH. If the toilet seal is leaking, the colored water will show up in the bowl. These types of leaks can be costly as a leaking toilet is similar to opening a faucet and letting it run continually.

back to top

My utility bill was higher than usual, how do I know if I have a leak in my home?

Home owners/tenants can check for leaks themselves by looking at the water meter (make sure all water using devices are turned off). The meter face has a triangle or arrow that will be moving when water is running through the meter. If all faucets and water using devices are off and this indicator is moving, the customer has a leak.

back to top

Who is responsible for repairs to the water line outside my home?

back to top

In the winter months can the pipes freeze if the water is turned off to a house?

If there is still water in the lines there is a chance they can freeze. To guarantee no frozen pipes it is best to have the property winterized if there will be no heat over the winter months. Winterizing a house would mean the water would be shut off at the street, the lines inside the house would be drained of any water and the meter would be pulled out of line and set on the ground. All of the plumbers in town offer this service for a fee.

back to top


How can the value of my property increase when I haven’t made any changes to my property?

The value of property is determined by many factors. Your assessment can increase because of improving neighborhoods, home sales in your neighborhood, and inflation. It is the Assessor’s job to determine what your property would be worth if it sold in today’s market.

back to top

Can't find what you are looking for?

Click here to ask your own question.
Join Our Mailing/Alert List
Follow Us: Facebook Twitter RSS
City of Galesburg; 55 W. Tompkins Street; Galesburg, IL 61402-1387|Phone: 309-343-4181|Directions|Contact Us|Intranet
©2014 City of Galesburg.|Web site design and development by Americaneagle.com|Privacy Policy|Terms & Conditions|Site Map