City Manager Todd Thompson
55 West Tompkins Street
Galesburg, IL 61401
"To professionally administer and coordinate activities of the City."
Administration is located in City Hall on the main level. The Mayor and City Council maintain an office in this suite where they can meet with constituents.
The Administration staff consists of the City Manager, Economic Development Director, Human Resource/Risk Manager, Benefits Coordinator, Community Service Supervisor and the Executive Secretary. This office is responsible for efficient and effective provision of municipal services through leadership and direction to other City staff, implementation of the policy decisions made by the Mayor and City Council, coordinating City operations, presenting a proposed annual balanced budget, committing all staff to excellence in public service, enhancing the quality of life for Galesburg residence and coordinating a variety of special projects. This office is accountable for :
- economic development activities of the City
- labor relations
- risk management
- employee benefits
- website content management
- and preparation of the City Council agenda and e-packet.
The City of Galesburg operates under the Council-Manager form of government. The City Manager (CM) serves as the chief administrative officer of the City under the direction of the City Council. The City Manager oversees all daily City operations and Staff in order to achieve the City Council's strategic goals and excellence in public service. The CM provides professional advice to the City Council, ensuring they have the tools necessary to make informed decisions on policy.
Mr. Thompson has worked in public administration since 1994. Prior to coming back to Illinois where he grew up, he was the City Manager for Mexico, Missouri. Mr. Thompson applied for the Galesburg City Manager position because of the sense of small town and community when he visited here. He received his Bachelor of Arts in Political Science and a Masters of Public Administration both from Southern Illinois University in Edwardsville. Mr Thompson's experience includes: City Manager for Mexico, Missouri; Assistant City Administrator for Raymore, Missouri; Management Assistant in Public Works for Lee's Summit, Missouri; and Administrative Assistant to City Administrator for Smithville, Missouri.
Facility Use/Mayor, Council and City Manager Appearance Requests:
City Hall houses two public meeting rooms. City Council Chambers and the Curtis Erickson Conference Room are accessible to the public for meetings. To check the availability of one of these rooms, request the Mayor, Council or City Manager for a speaking engagement or to make an appearance at an event, please contact the Executive Secretary.
Council Chambers and the Erickson Conference Room Guidelines:
- Available during regular City of Galesburg business hours (8 a.m. - 5 p.m.).
- All participants must exit City Hall prior to 5 p.m.
- Groups should be contained in the reserved meeting room, please do not congregate in the Rotunda.
- Staff is conducting City business. The City of Galesburg reserves the right to end meetings if it becomes disruptive to City Staff or the public.
- If desired, provide the Executive Secretary any signage directing participants to the meeting location
- Groups are responsible for putting the room back to pre-meeting set up
- Audio Video equipment is available for use. Notify the Executive Secretary of the group's needs.
- Food is discouraged
- All drinks are to be provided by the group
- Political groups may not host an event in City Hall