How to Register
How to Register to Vote
You must be registered to vote from your CURRENT address and with your CURRENT name to be qualified to vote a full ballot. Therefore, if you move or change your name you must re-register.
To register to vote you must:
- Be a citizen of the United States
- In general election cycles (even years) 17 year olds may register before, and vote in, the general primary election if they will be 18 by the time of the next general election. In consolidated election cycles (odd years) the registrant must be 18 years old or older by the time of the next election.
- Live in your election precinct at least 30 days
- Not be convicted and in jail
- Not claim the right to vote anywhere else
Register to Vote or Update Your Voter Registration Record
- Online - The Illinois paperless online registration application is now active. Visit Illinois Online Voter Application to get started. Not available until February 26, 2015.
- Galesburg Board of Elections Office - You may register or update your voter registration record by visiting the Galesburg Board of Elections office located in City Hall, 55 W. Tompkins Street. Office is open 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. daily. During the 8-week period before the close of registration the Galesburg Board of Elections is also open Saturdays from 9:00 a.m. to 12 Noon.
- Mail Registration - A mail-in voter registration application may be printed by downloading the Illinois State Board of Elections Voter Registration Application. Print, complete and sign the form. Mail form to: Galesburg Board of Elections, PO Box 1387, Galesburg, IL 61402-1387.
- Drivers License Facilities - You may register to vote at the same time you apply for your Illinois Drivers License or State ID.
- Public Assistance Agencies
- Precinct Committeemen
By statute, different forms of identification are required for each of the above ways to register to vote.
- Online Registration - You must provide your Illinois Drivers License number or Illinois Secretary of State issued State ID number, the Date the license or ID was issued, Last four digits of your Social Security number, and your date of birth.
- Galesburg Board of Elections Office -Two forms of identification are required to register. One must include your present address. This can be a driver's license, library card, credit card, personal check, utility bill, mail addressed to you at your current address, etc.
- Mail registration - Fully complete the application. If you do not have a Illinois Drivers License number, State ID number, or last four digits of your social security number (Box 9) and this form is submitted by mail, and you have never registered to vote in the jurisdiction you are now registering in, then you must send, with this application, either (i) a copy of a current and valid photo identification, or (ii) a copy of a current utility bill, bank statement, government check, paycheck, or other government document that show the name and address of the voter. If you do not provide the information required above, then you will be required to provide election officials with either (i) or (ii) described above the first time you vote at a voting place or by absentee ballot.
- Driver's License Facilities - Same identification requirements when obtaining a Driver's License or State ID.
- Public Assistance Agencies - Same identification requirements as Mail Registration above.
Voter Identification Card
Upon receipt and processing of a voter registration application, a voter identification card will be mailed. Please verify your name and address printed on the card. Note your polling place and the governmental districts for which you are entitled to vote.
The voter identification card is not required to vote, but if you have misplaced your voter ID card you may click here to determine your polling place and voting districts. The link will only locate your information if you submit your name as you signed your voter registration application. (Some voters register with their formal name while others use an abbreviated name such as Micheal and Mike.) If you are unable to locate your information call the Election Office at 309/345-3660.
A new Voter Identification Card is mailed every two (2) years and whenever a polling place is changed. Be sure to keep the most current ID card received.
Registration is closed for the 27-day period preceding each election, except in person at the office of the Election Board for city of Galesburg residents. (See Grace Period Voting on this web site)