Informational meeting on Energy Aggregation to be held October 15
October 10, 2012 04:28 PM
Electric Aggregation Referendum – November 6, 2012
Illinois law now provides municipalities with the opportunity to assist their residents and small businesses in reducing their electricity costs. Municipalities can aggregate the electric load of their residential and qualifying small businesses into one, larger load and then solicit bids for electricity supply and related services for this larger group. These bids will reflect the electricity portion only; Ameren will continue to deliver the electricity across existing poles and wires. On November 6, the city of Galesburg has placed a referendum on the ballot asking our citizens whether the city of Galesburg should have the authority to solicit bids for electricity supply and related services for all participating residents and small businesses.
If the referendum is approved, the city of Galesburg will then:
- Hold two public meetings to discuss the program and provide citizens with the opportunity to ask questions related to the aggregation program;
- Develop a plan of governance detailing the steps to be taken in implementing the program;
- Solicit bids for electricity and related services from qualified suppliers; and
- Enter into a contract with the selected supplier if, and only if, the supplier’s pricing is lower than the rates currently available from Ameren.
- The city is under no obligation to enter into any contract if it does not meet the program objective of lowering costs for Galesburg citizens.
Approval of the referendum does not require an individual's participation in the aggregation program:
- You may choose to "opt-out" of the program for any reason by submitting an opt-out request.
- If you opt-out, you will continue to receive electricity service from your current supplier.
The referendum shall read as follows:
"Shall the city of Galesburg have the authority to arrange for the supply of electricity for its residential and small commercial retail customers who have not opted out of such program?"
The city of Galesburg will host an informational public meeting on Monday, October 15, 2012 at 5:30 PM in City Hall, located at 55 West Tompkins Street, Galesburg, IL.
DaCott Energy Services, Ltd.