Recycling, Refuse and Yard Waste
The City of Galesburg contracts with Waste Management, Inc. for solid waste service. If you experience problems or have questions, please phone the contractor at 309/342-0256 or 309/343-0256 between the hours of 7 a.m. and 5 p.m., Monday through Friday. Or you may call City Hall at 309/345-3614 from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday. Refuse collection is a part of water and sewer service. When you open a water account, refuse service will begin at the same time.
When a holiday occurs during the week, there will be no waste service on that day. That day’s pick up will take place the following day with the remainder of the week being one day behind. Holidays affected by this policy are: New Year's Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day.
The refuse, recycling and yard waste containers should be at the curb by 6 a.m. Please separate the three categories in distinct piles.
Taking Out the Garbage
- Refuse is collected weekly at the curb year-round.
- Plastic bags or refuse cans are acceptable containers (cardboard boxes are not).
- Weight should not exceed 50 pounds.
- Containers should not be placed at the curb until after 4 p.m. on the day before collections.
- Refuse pickup routes begin at 6 a.m. Have your refuse at the curb by that time.
- Containers should be removed from the curb by midnight on the day of collection.
- Tied up bundles less that 5 feet in lengh and 50 pounds in weight are acceptable.
- Put refuse, yard waste and recycling in three separate piles at the curb.
Discarding oversize items, large boxes or carpet
Oversize items are anything that is greater than 50 pounds, or do not fit in a 30 gallon waste container/bag, or is greater than 5 feet in length. Starting Special "Oversize Stickers" costing $19 (effective January 1, 2013) must be purchased to discard items that exceed these limits. Stickers may be purchased at Galesburg City Hall or Hy-Vee Food Stores. During "Clean Up Days" oversized items are picked up free of charge. See below for more details.
Large boxes and carpeting may be bundled by securing with tape or twine so that it is less than 50 pounds in weight and 5 feet in length. Do not use large boxes for solid waste containers. They will not be picked up by the contractor. Bundles are collected on the regular solid waste pick up day. Set bundles next to trash bags/cans.