During the months of December, January, and February yard waste is collected monthly.
In July of 1990, the State of Illinois implemented a ban on the disposal of yard waste in sanitary landfills. The City of Galesburg reacted to this legislation by developing a curbside yard waste collection program. The City's contractor, Waste Management, Inc., collects the yard waste and takes it to the Knox County Landfill Composting Facility. This is the same contractor that collects the recyclables and refuse. Residents in Galesburg may place their refuse, yard waste and recycling out at the curb on their refuse day.
Preparing Yard Waste
- Yard waste is leaves, grass, shrub clippings, garden waste, brush and woody material. Christmas trees are not yard waste.
- Yard waste must be in a paper yard waste bag or a refuse can marked with YW on the outside. Cardboard boxes are not acceptable containers.
- Yard waste may also be bundled in lengths no more than 5' and less than 50 Ibs in weight.
- Tie for the bundles must be degradable.
- No single piece of brush may be greater than 5" in diameter.
- Absolutely no plastic bags are allowed for yard waste.
- Yard waste is collected weekly from March through November; and monthly from December through February.
- Raking leaves or moving grass int the street can result in fines.