The Inspection Division is delegated the responsibility of insuring the public safety, health, welfare and to secure safety to life and property from all hazards incident to the occupancy of buildings, structures and the like. The information provided herein is intended to provide owners, tenants, contractors, and design professionals the basic requirements and procedures for construction in the City of Galesburg. Please see our FAQ for more information on what type of work requires permits.

If you have recently taken out a permit or have done work with our department we would like to know about your experience. We would appreciate it if you would take some time to fill out our customer service survey. Just click the link below.

2016 Inspections Survey

Codes adopted

Modern codes and their administration provide safeguards to the public need for protection from disaster due to fire, structural collapse, electrical wiring, heating, sanitary facilities and general deterioration.

The following State and National Codes were adopted as law, or as required by law, with amendments as listed in the Galesburg Municipal Code. These codes are periodically updated, so please contact the Inspection Division for current codes at (309) 345-3619.

State of Illinois Registration & Licensing

Architects and Structural Engineers:

The City of Galesburg is required by law to require all structural work in all commercial, industrial, multifamily and nonresidential projects to be designed, documented and sealed by an Illinois Registered Architect or Structural Engineer. The State Statutes define both professions and the limitations of each. In general, if the project is only structural in nature or involves only non-occupied-type structures, a structural engineer is acceptable; all other types of multifamily, commercial and industrial projects require an architect.

A one or two-family residential project may also require architectural or structural engineering services but only in cases where the particular structural component is not specifically addressed by the One and Two Family Dwelling Code or by accepted engineering standards.

In a situation involving a change of use of the structure (by code definition), this project almost always requires an architect.

If a project is required to comply with these State laws regarding architects and engineers, the documents filed for the building permit are required to be sealed by the professional.


The City of Galesburg is required by law to enforce the State laws governing roofers. These laws require all roofing contractors to be licensed and bonded by the State of Illinois. All projects involving roofing of any type are affected. The State identification number of the roofing contractor should be submitted with the other documents filed for permit since this number must be shown on the permit application. Homeowners are exempt from the licensing and bonding requirements.

Contractor Licensing/Bonding


A homeowner can do general construction, electrical, plumbing and heating work on their own residence without licenses or bonds, providing they secure the appropriate permits and provides proof that he or she is the bona-fide owner of the property. NOTE: Plumbing work requires that the owner occupy the residence for a minimum of six months after completion of any plumbing work.

General Construction:

All General Contractor's must be registered with the City of Galesburg. The fee is $55 for the calendar year January 1 through December 31. The City Clerk’s office is responsible for maintaining the registration database. All registration forms, payments and other information must be provided to the City Clerk’s office for processing. (Please see the following documents for obtaining a Building Permit. Swimming Pool Guide, Swimming Pool Permit Application, Building Permit Application, Storage Shed, Ramp Guide, Fence Guide, Fence Permit Application, Detached Garage Guide, Attached Garage Guide, Deck Guide and Commercial Permits Guide).


All plumbing work performed in the City of Galesburg requires a permit. All plumbing work must be by plumbing contractors licensed and registered with the State of Illinois, except resident homeowners as noted above. (Please see the following documents that pertain to obtaining a plumbing permit.  Plumbing Permit Application).


Sewer contractors are required to be licensed and bonded by the City of Galesburg to perform work in the City right-of-way. Sewer/plumbing contractors are also required to post a bond with the Galesburg Sanitary District. Resident homeowners may perform sewer work by posting a one time bond. Excavation in City right-of-way is not allowed by homeowners.


All electrical work performed in the City of Galesburg requires a permit. Electrical contractors are required to be tested, licensed and bonded by the City of Galesburg. The electrical contractor's examination fee is $50 and the electrical contractor's yearly license fee is $55. All residential, commercial and industrial electrical work must be performed by licensed electrical contractors. Exception: Owners of a single family dwelling may perform electrical work in their own homes provided proper permits are obtained. (Please see the following documents for obtaining an Electrical Permit.  Swimming Pool Guide and Electrical Permit Application).

Work on City Right-of-way:

Drive approaches, utility work, public sidewalks and sewer and water lines are governed by special bonding and licensing laws. Permits and permission for the above must be obtained from the Public Works/Engineering Department (345-3623). Permits to barricade a part of the public way for construction purposes must be obtained from the Public Works/Engineering Department.


Every person applying for a sign permit to install or erect a sign shall file with the city clerk a policy or certificate of insurance from a company authorized to do business in the state. Signs requiring electrical power shall obtain the appropriate electrical permit in addition to the permit required by this division. (Please see the following documents for obtaining a sign permit.  Sign Permit Application, Sign Guide and Electrical Permit Application).


All contract demolition work must be performed by an insured demolition contractor (proof of insurance must be on file). A residential property owner can do his own demolition, provided he posts the required proof of insurance with the City. Contact the City of Galesburg Inspection Division for particulars. (Please see the following documents to obtain a demolition permit. Demolition Guide and Demolition Permit Application).


The application shall be accompanied by a surety company bond, acceptable to the building inspector, to the city in the penal sum of five thousand dollars ($5,000.00), conditioned on the faithful performance by the applicant of all things required of him by the ordinances (including the payment of permit fees or deposits required by this division) of the city, and to indemnify the city and to save it harmless against any and all claims, demands or causes of action whatsoever which might arise or accrue against it by reason of the granting of such permit or the exercise of any privilege thereby conferred and to repay all damages which may be suffered by the city or by any other person by reason of the exercise of the permit, including by way of illustration, but not of limitation, injury to pavements, curbs, sidewalks, poles, wires or trees. The application shall also be accompanied by a deposit in the amount of one hundred dollars ($100.00) to the city from the owner of the building. Such deposit will be returned to the owner if he has made the building habitable or usable in accordance with article VI of this chapter within six (6) months after the move. 

Join Our Mailing/Alert List
Follow Us: Facebook Twitter RSS
City of Galesburg; 55 W. Tompkins Street; Galesburg, IL 61402-1387|Phone: 309-343-4181|Directions|Contact Us|Intranet
©2020 City of Galesburg.|Web site design and development by|Privacy Policy|Terms & Conditions|Site Map